A lot, apparently, and moving to Zurich has its own specific challenges. It sounds funny, but even in this day and age, I still get confused about whether Zurich is in Germany or in Switzerland. I guess I always mistake Zurich for Munich. Honestly, can you blame me?
Enough of that, let’s focus on the issue at hand. You just got the opportunity of a lifetime, a job in Zurich, Switzerland! Your IT skills have finally done you so much good that it landed you a job in one of the largest cities in one of the most beautiful countries in the world! You must be so excited!
You must also be terrified at the same time. I mean, moving from Asia to Europe is bad enough. Moving to one of the most advanced cities in the world might prove to be more of a challenge than an adventure. But one thing you should not consider is giving up on your dream. We can work together to find answers to your questions about this move.
- How does one find a place in Zurich?
- It helps to do a little research about the city. Rent prices, as well as locations of basic services, are a must. It would be ideal if you could find an apartment near your workplace, but experience has proven that this can cost more than living in the outskirts of the city. If you choose the latter, it may mean a longer travel time to and from work, so you need to be familiar with the commute.
- How can we save on costs when starting a new life in a new city?
- Most people who have already established material investments will opt for the practical approach – bringing everything they have established with them when they move. Furniture, as well as appliances, can cost a lot if you decide to buy new ones in Zurich. One way to save is to bring what you already have with you. This may mean that you have to get services that cater to removals to Zurich. They basically “remove” your items from your current location and bring them to your new destination. Getting the most out of these services will also mean researching the best offer there is on the internet. Striking a deal with certain companies may prove useful in saving on costs as well.
- How do we make the most of the move?
- The more we know about the new location, the better we will be at adjusting to the environment. It also pays to make local friends and contacts who can direct us to the most cost-efficient paces and give tips on how we can maximize our pennies while getting the most out of the services available for us.
Whatever your concerns may be, the excitement that comes with this new adventure will somehow outweigh the worries. Just remember that no matter how great something might be, a little preparation will always serve you well.